Surprisingly, the river has only just started to freeze over night, even though we have had no snow and mostly sun for over a week. The waves from barges on the river make breaks up the bigger sheets of ice and makes a lovely a soft crackling sound. One of the boats I saw was called Frohsinn which means 'cheerfulness' and is pronounced Fro-zen.
These ducks have chosen a good ice floe to stand on and watch the sun rise. The seagulls seemed to favour the moving ice in the middle (so they could commute downstream to the city for the day?). I was wondering why the swans were choosing to swim rather than stand on the ice, when I saw one young swan push itself out of the water onto an ice floe, which took some effort. While it was preening itself proudly, two of its siblings joined it on top of the ice and immediately the floe began to sink...
love from
Brendan
No comments:
Post a Comment