I am glad to be home, once again, after spending a week in London! Last Thursday morning was of course chaotic and confusing but, like most of London, I spent most of the morning believing that it was a power surge had stopped the Underground network. I did become worried when all the buses also stopped running but did not know what had happened for sure until I saw a TV image of the bombed bus in a café at midday. It was not until Friday that I heard from Andrew, Teresa and Jake that they were all fine. I was impressed with how London made a determined show of returning to life-and-business-as-usual straight after the terrorist attacks.
I enjoyed meeting up with Andrew on Saturday afternoon and cycling around Greenwich, Canary Wharf and over Tower Bridge at sunset. Cycling in London is apparently a bit more popular after Thursday’s events, but I am surprised that so few Londoners get around town by pushbikes or motorbikes. It is much quicker and pleasanter than sitting on a crowded, overheated double-decker bus stuck in traffic and London is a milder climate that cycle-mad places like Copenhagen.
A highlight of my week was seeing the rather tragic Shakespeare comedy Pericles, Prince of Tyre in the Globe Theatre on the south bank of the Thames. The newly reconstructed theatre stands within a few hundred metres of where the original once stood. The publicity photo shows how the acrobatic performance makes full use of the intimate open-air theatre. I got one of the 700 available five quid standing tickets so I was very happy to give a standing ovation at the end of the 3 hours performance!
Love from
Brendanthe globe
